Church Controller Job Description
JOB TITLE: Church Controller
PURPOSE: To provide administrative, financial and organizational leadership to the church overall, and specifically in the areas of finance and human resources.
REPORTS TO: Minister of Church Operations
DIRECT REPORT: Accountant: Yvonne Wong
1) Oversee the finance function, in partnership with the Church Treasurer.
2) Serve as the on-staff lead HR representative, under the authority of the Elders, Lead Pastor and Personnel Team. Manage the Church’s benefit plans (Medical, LTD, Life, 403b, Flex 125, Vision, etc.).
3) Be an active participant in the life of Saratoga Federated Church.
a. Supervise accountant.
b. Manage handling and reporting of all donations and other income.
c. Prepare weekly, monthly and annual cash and financial reports
d. Process accounts payable including disbursements.
e. Reconcile general ledger accounts.
f. Prepare annual budget; monitor and report actual vs. budget; communicate with staff, Elders and congregation as needed.
g. Manage church investments
h. Handle all government reporting (1099, property tax, FTB, etc.)
i. Review and maintain the Chart of Accounts.
2) Human Resources:
a. Provide front line HR management to entire organization
b. Manage the various church benefit plans
c. Liaison with the Personnel Team on HR matters as needed
3) Active participation in the life of Saratoga Federated Church
a. Attend Sunday worship services on a regular basis
b. Attend staff meetings on a monthly basis
METRICS OF SUCCESS:
1) Customer satisfaction: Elders, Sr. Staff, other staff, congregation
a. Anecdotal evidence based on feedback received
2) Accuracy: Minimal errors in execution and reporting
3) Budget: Ability to keep the budget in a surplus position
4) Integrity/Trust: anecdotal based on perceptions/feedback
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND EDUCATION:
Experience: 5+ years of broad senior management experience in a multi-million dollar enterprise at the Controller or CFO level. Non-profit senior management experience recommended.
Skills: Evidence of a mature life under the lordship of Jesus Christ; strong communicator, ability to manage others to success, understanding of GAAP and IRS guidelines for a church, understanding proper procedures for accounting department, familiarity with prudent investment guidelines, knowledge of legal aspects of human resources management, familiarity with normal array of benefit plans design and implementation.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in business or equivalent.